Okay, so you want to try some natural deodorant but not sure how to start, well I’m glad you clicked here! I have always loved the idea of using natural deodorant or natural anything really but I’ve had a hard time finding the right formula for my body or something that actually worked. Either they were to sweet smelling, to sticky, or they didn’t mix well with my natural body odor so I ended up smelling like a stinky cat instead…gross. But after trial and error and these are pregnancy approved smells, I have finally developed the best natural deodorant you will ever use! This deodorant is not only great for under the arm use but you can use it as a perfume as well. Plus this is favoring towards the minimal waste side so that’s a plus for me!
I bought my ingredients from drug emporium but you can buy it from any store really. I didn’t want to use the now brand shea butter but it was all they had on hand and I needed deodorant pronto! The bulk price of obtaining the ingredients was $38 BUT I will be getting my money’s worth as one container lasted 1 year!! I will let you know how long this container lasts and how many batches I get out of it. So far I haven’t even made a dent into the products I bought so it looks like I may have about 5 years worth of deodorant on my hands. 😅 Let’s face it that’s not at all bad considering natural deodorant can cost upwards up to $7-$10 dollars.
Another thing I’d like to add, is that I am using a container jar. I would have LOVED to use a deodorant stick but I just didn’t have time to order one. I will show you one in the future but for now it’s in a container. I just scoop out what I need, let it dissolved or melt a little in my hands and then spread under my arm. Please note, if your body isn’t used to natural deodorant it may take some time for it to adjust. If you see swelling and redness for more than 3 days please stop or if your underarm is sore please do not continue to use. I’m not a doctor but it’s just some friendly advice. 😁
For those who are visual please check out my video on how to make Natural homemade deodorant:
Things to keep in mind:
- Why beeswax? Beeswax helps keep the deodorant solid. If you do not like it super solid then please add more Shea butter and/or coconut oil but do not exceed the point where it becomes like a cream. Beeswax carries antiviral, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial property’s. This helps with calming the skin and help assist chaffed skin.
- Why essential oils? You want to find a oil that is trusted. I use doterra and young living oils. I have seen great results from using both brands. Essential oils are the oils taken from a plant, tree, flower and have gone through a process to extract the oils from that source. They are natural and I have found they do not flare up my sinuses. Follow safety guidelines when handling oils and check out some more information on Doterra oils from Danielle Prince.
- Why arrowroot powder and corn starch? In my recipe, I chose to use both arrowroot and corn starch. Arrow root helps thicken while cornstarch thickens and helps keep the underarm from feeling wet. Although it won’t complete dry you it’s better than some natural deodorants that make you feel sticky, wet and/or sticky.
- Why baking soda? Baking soda is great for many uses. If you don’t believe me check out my post on Diaper rashes! I put it in this recipe because baking soda helps level the ph under the arms. Not only that but it helps with Ofer and helps keep you dry. Baking soda can irritate some people’s skin. Omit if you are a sensitive skinned person.
- Allow your body to adjust to the natural deodorant. Spend at least a week or however long you can without deodorant under your arms. Allow your body the chance to detox. Note: not all natural deodorants will work with your bodies natural smell, skin, or hormones. Please test area first before applying everywhere.
- Antiperspirant vs Deodorant: antiperspirant protects from odor and sweat. Deodorant protects against odor. Natural deodorant does a great job masking the smell but it doesn’t clog your sweet glands so you will keep sweeting unless you use a recipe that helps combat both natural problems. Also I am not claiming that this is an antiperspirant and this is not an FDA approved product.
- Test the product on a small part of your skin before using. Just because it’s natural doesn’t mean it can’t or won’t irritate you.
Things you will need:
- Wooden skewer
- Container to put deodorant in
- 1.5 tbsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp arrow root powder
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 (3-4tbsp) cup beeswax
- 1.5-2 tbsp Shea butter
- 1.5-2 tbsp coconut oil
- Mix powder ingredients into a small bowl. Set to the side for later.
- Use double boiler method or do what I did and placed water in a pot and placed a bowl on top. Please be careful in this step as it is hot! Place all moisturizing ingredients to the bowl. Stir with skewer until beeswax is completely melted!! This is important to do as you don’t want clumps of was in your deodorant and do not place dry ingredients in until dissolved as it becomes harder to melt the wet ingredients when they are coated in powder.
3. Add the powder ingredients and stir with skewer till dissolved. Should look milky. Let cool for a minute. Then carefully take bowl out of the pan.
4. Add essential oils and mix! Try using the ones I listed above! I love them both ❤️
5. Don’t wait more than a minute to place content into a container. Transfer as soon as possible. Mixture drys fairly quickly.
6. Use as a deodorant or perfume! Store in a place where it is room temperature. Use finger or scoop should use about a pea size each for both pits. Apply over armpit and be satisfied. 😊
Please subscribe to our blog and YT channel! Thank you!